Friday, February 04, 2011

The Healing Magic of Cookies



The other morning, I found Hattie in the pantry slyly eating a Chips Ahoy cookie. I asked her what she as doing and she said, "I'm having a cookie. My eye hurts so I am eating a cookie for it to feel better." Smart girl!

Speaking of cookies...for my young women's calling, I've been attending all the ward conferences in the stake. In one of the wards this week one of the girls did an object lesson about the commandments as our recipe in life and how we need to follow it and not do our own version or interpretation. She had made one batch of cookies and said she didn't have sugar so she used salt, she didn't have baking soda so she added baking powder, she didn't have vanilla so she used corn syrup, etc. etc. Then she asked if anyone wanted to try one. A few girls did and they could hardly bite into it because it was so gross. Then she made that connection to following the commandments, then had cookies where she followed the recipe exactly and she gave everyone one of the good cookies. Long story short to say that those cookies were SO, so good! They were just so soft and delicious. I e-mailed this girl's mom to get the recipe and I've already made a batch. In the recipe, she said she puts a piece of bread in the container where she stores the cookies to keep them soft...the cookies pull the moisture out of the bread to keep it soft. I had heard that before but just thought it was a wives's tale or whatnot...but I tried it and it totally worked! I am probably the last person to try it, but I will be doing that from now on. They kept their same softness and today is two days from when I made them. Usually by now other cookies I make start to get crunchy. So there is your tip for the day...eat cookies when your eye hurts and put bread in the container to keep them soft.

4 comments:

The Headrick Family said...

I should try the cookie thing...maybe it would make my eyes better great idea! Love kids she is getting so big my girls still ask to play with their AZ friends, one of these days we may have to come down for a bit would be fun!

Hailee said...

Will you email me the cookie recipe?

L&M said...

Umm, I think I want that recipe too! And I knew about putting bread in with brown sugar but not cookies, GREAT! Thanks for sharing the tip.

Ann said...

I think you need to post the recipe. I want it too!