Thursday, November 22, 2007

How Not to Gain 5 Pounds on Thanksgiving:

...get a migraine. Yup. Can you even believe it? I sure couldn't. I was so mad and disappointed! So here is a recap of my Thanksgiving day.

Note to Aunt Ellen: Sorry--no pictures yet--so you can wait for that post if you want!! :)

Pre-migraine:
Got up.
Sang happy birthday to Ellie. Made her 2 toaster strudels--what she requested--for breakfast. She got her gift--a little scooter. She has had a lot of fun on it today.
Made pumpkin trifle for a dessert which we ended up eating tonight at my aunt's house. So so good!
Made Ellie's birthday cake. I used Kari's amazingly delicious homemade chocolate frosting recipe. Thank, Kari!
Brian put the Christmas tree up. The girls were in and out playing.
We got all loaded up to go to my parents for Thanksgiving lunch. We got to my parents and somewhere between getting out of the car and in their house it hit me! I "saw the light." I was thinking, "You've got to be kidding me. Oh no. Not today." But alas...it was true.

During Migraine:
--All the family was enjoying a (from what I heard) a super delicious Thanksgiving lunch around my parents new, huge table (all the adults fit at one table!) and in their newly remodeled kitchen/dining area.
--I was in my parents' bedroom, laying on the bed, in and out of their bathroom (albeit--newly remodeled and decorated!) and sleeping. I was so ticked I missed it. At about 4:30 I came out of my "cave" (lol), feeling a little better. The nausea, vision issues and headache pain had subsided...I just had to take it easy and not move to fast. Still not feeling great.

After the worst of the migraine:
I was feeling "better" so I figured we were still safe to go to the festivities at my aunt's house. So we drove out to Gilbert for our annual big family get together. It was a lot of fun. We started out by eating finger foods and desserts (still not Thanksgiving dinner--but I'm not bitter!), then we all sang to Ellie and enjoyed the cake. We played pictionary (using words related to Thanksgiving or our family) and played bingo and got little prizes for winning (candy bars or the kids got little toys or games or lip gloss. Then it was time for the ornament exchange. We did it a little different this year. Instead of having a name in advance, we just brought an ornament or Christmas decoration and Chris read a story that had lots of the words "right" and "left" in it. So the gifts went around and back and around. When the story was over, you got that ornament you were holding. The kids exchanged first, then the adults. We got so lucky and Brian got what my mom made. I'll have to take a picture. It's an altered book she made, but in the front is embedding "Santa's watch." I was tickled to get it!

We left a little before 9--our girls were so very tired but it was good evening. Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: