Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Post-Traumatic Swine Flu Mist Syndrome

This week has flown by so far. On Monday we hung out at home. My visiting teachers came over in the early afternoon. My neighbor Heather was nice enough to let Ellie and Hattie come play while they were here. When people come over, for some reason, they think it's time to run around like crazies! I was not up for that, so they played there for a bit. After school, we went to Brian's office. Aleeda and David needed help moving a dinette set they bought, so Brian took three of the girls and I took Ruby and Libby to gymnastics. Libby was really excited to go and she had fun. Yay! Glad she is enjoying it. We came home, had family home evening and got everyone to bed.

On Tuesday my mom came over and we made bread. Actually I made bread and she made rolls. We have been wanting to try these rolls from Our Best Bites. They are indeed a lot more work that bread, but oh my...they are delicious. And incredibly delicious fresh, warm out of the oven. I will definitely make those again. We made a run to Target to get a few items, them we came home. My mom went home and I picked up Eliza and Libby from school. I went into the school because they were offering the swine flu shots at the school. Let's just say it was one of the worst experiences ever!!! After school wasn't too bad, it's when we went back later. After school we waited for our turn and I had to really coerce Eliza into getting into the chair just to do the swine flu mist. Not even the shot! She did it and was a little embarrassed about how easy it was. The whole time Libby was saying she was going to do it, etc. She cried and I couldn't get her in the chair. I didn't push it but figured we'd come back later when Brian could come with me. I went back and forth for how important it was to do it, but I figured with Ruby, I wanted everyone to have at least the swine flu vaccine. So we came home and did the normal after school stuff--chores, homework, etc. We had dinner and then decided to try the vaccine again. I wish we wouldn't have. When it was our turn, Libby wouldn't come. She walked off and Brian had to chase her around. He finally got her and held her (while she screamed) and sat in the chair (while she screamed) and held her down (while she screamed and cried). That went on for a bit. She held her nose, etc. etc. And it wasn't even for the shot! Then a another nurse came over and wasn't very nice, unfortunately. She was talking very stern to Libby (she actually kept calling her "Liddy" even after Brian corrected her several times). I should have told her to stop talking to her like that, but I was having a hard time as it was. Libby said she wanted me to hold her, so we switched, but she was just as difficult for me. She still screamed and tried to get away. We got her to the point where the nurse could get it into her nose--but not without Libby totally fighting it. But they got it in. By the time it was over though, Eliza was crying, Libby was crying and I was crying. I was sad for Libby that that is what happened just to get it in and I was quite embarrassed. The principal was there, the vice principal was there, another teacher we know was there, etc. I felt like I couldn't win. I was like--do I look like a TERRIBLE mom for forcing her to get it or would it be worse if I didn't make her and made it look like she walks all over me? It was just not a very good experience all around.

After we got home, I took off to a presidency meeting. We met with the camp directors, so that with all the normal stuff we needed to talk about made for a long, late meeting. We will all be so glad when this upcoming youth conference is over.

Today I couldn't get us out of the house for the life of me. (I mean to do some errands with Ellie, Hattie and Ruby.) Finally we left around 1 I think. It just seems like I feed Ruby, then get myself ready, then I don't want to leave because she'll need to eat while we are out, so I wait and feed her again...etc.

Tonight was our last YW in Excellence we had to go to. Terri graciously watched our girls again. I came home myself with the girls as Brian had to stay for a meeting. Bedtime was late unfortunately, but at least everyone is sleeping now. Now I need to get to bed!

No comments: