Monday, December 21, 2009

Ward Council Party, Christmas Sunday and Christmas Dinner

On Saturday night, we had Abbie come babysit and we did some shopping, then went to a Christmas party for the ward council. We had a yummy dinner and then played two truths and a lie. I can never think of anything to put for that game! Then we did a white elephant exchange. We took a crocheted duck that you fill with M&Ms, then you squeeze it and they come out the hind end. We also took Brian's Tiger Woods hat that he doesn't want to wear anymore. I ended up with an over-the-door wreath holder, but the only reason I wanted that was that it had a darling hair bow/flower on the outside of the wrapping. Brian got a doozie--Andes Mints and two boxes of enemas. Ha! No one wanted to take that away.

I always look forward to Christmas Sunday. Unfortunatly, Hattie complained of her ears hurting durning the night, so I ended up having to take her in to the doctor. She has an ear infection and got antibiotics. My girls got to go but not Hattie or me (or Ruby).

Last night was our annual family Christmas dinner. Everyone came including my Grandpa Bert and Aunt Dovetta. We had a delicious meal--ham, rolls, salad, a yummy rice pilaf dish, dill potatoes and more! Libby miraculously even tried the rice and potatoes and loved them both. The table was set so nice and at each place setting, my parents' had had Pam (Sweets Unlimited) make a sugar cookie with each person's name on it. That was the place "card." We had battery powered candles for effect. After dinner, we cleaned up and did our nativity scene. All the kids had a part and some of the dads even got to join in. It was really cute. Then we had our ornament exchange. It was fun to watch everyone open their ornaments. Then my parents had gotten each grandchild an ornament that related to something they did that year--Eliza got one of a girl soccer player, Libby got a golf ball with a Santa hat to remind her of going goofy golfing with my parents, Ellie got one of a chicken on a nest, Hattie got a girl in cowgirl boots since she likes to wear hers and Ruby got a wire angel that had little ruby jewels on it. Finally, my mom and dad handed out the gifts for the grandkids--their PJ pants that my mom made and a corn bag that matched. They all turned out so cute! Before we knew it, they all had one pair of their new PJ pants on. We had dessert--peanut butter balls, 7 layer bars, and several fancy desserts by Pam--then we called it a night! I'll update with pictures when my mom gets them off her camera.

2 comments:

Ann said...

Maybe I'll get them downloaded today...or tomorrow! Sorry I'm so slow.

Sonja said...

I love the idea of an ornament exchange and I love even more the idea of the ornament relating to something done together during the year. Darling idea.