Sunday, August 09, 2009

Stake Conference and New Calling (again)

Here are some of my favorite thoughts from the adult meeting of stake conference last night.
--We show our gratitude by our works.
--1st Corinthians 10:13--we won't be tempted (or challenged or given more adversity) than we can bear.
--We will have the strength to meet any challenge we are presented.
--Be meek and lowly of heart. (Meek= stands in awe of God's creations, remains silent even when accused, teachable, not casual towards things of an eternal nature) (Lowly of heart= comes when we realize what we caused the Savior in His suffering, having remorse that we have hurt others, complete submission to His will)
--To love is to create; to hate is to destroy
--We should embrace challenges of life with greater gratitude
--We should view challenges and adversity as an opportunity for growth.
--Get on your knees and ask for help. He wants to help us.
--Talked about Michelangelo and how he wanted to learn to draw, but was asked to draft, sculpt, cast, paint and to be an architect. He was willing to learn and try new things. In regard to callings we are extended, we shouldn't say, "I am not ___________ (e.g. a nursery leader and primary pianist, etc.). We accept and do our best. That is humility. We can't tell the Bishop what we can or can't do. We can explain a situation if we think there is a conflict, but then let the Bishop decide. If we don't accept the calling, we are breaking the covenant.
--All ordinances we are part of help us become like our Savior.
--If we look at our lives as an act of creation and that we are being molded, it will affect every decision we make.
--Heavenly Father gives revelation to parents in regard to their children.

Before the meeting last night, a member of the high council wanted to meet with me. He tried to get hold of us this past week, but we were gone, so we didn't meet up until last night. But I was called to be the secretary of the stake young women's presidency. It definitely came out of the blue (just as I was getting going teaching my Sunday School class). But change is good, right? I am excited to serve in that calling--something totally new.

Today we had the 1 PM session. It was weird since we are used to going at 8:30 and not having time to do anything before. We made it to conference and enjoyed it. I am always glad for the adult session because I can get a lot from that meeting and can take notes, etc. In the Sunday session, I am trying to keep the girls reverent so any bit I can hear is a perk. It was a good meeting though. There were two young kids who spoke--they both did so great. Sweet little Kylie P. was bearing her testimony and she fainted though. I felt so bad for her. She was looking a little weak and pale towards the end and I looked over at Brian and we wondered if that would happen. Luckily her mom could tell she was struggling, so she went up and was there in time to catch her. Poor girl. The one thing I took from President Wagner's talk was to be more specific in my prayers. I always think I am, but I am going to do even better. He said to say exactly what your desires are and to pray for each child by name for specifically what they need and you need. I am going to try out that challenge/promise. I need help and I need revelation in regard to them.

After conference we came home. Eliza and Libby played well together and I made brownies (used my friend Kari's recipe for homemade brownies with frosting. Yum!!) with Ellie and Hattie. They love to help and to lick the beaters and the bowl! We had spaghetti for dinner, followed by dessert. The girls got their baths/showers and I put Hattie to bed. Then Brian gave Eliza and Libby a father's blessing for the start of school. I think the girls were excited to have a blessing before starting school tomorrow and I am grateful Brian does it each year. It makes me (and hopefully them) feel more at peace. Brian also gave me a blessing, so I appreciated that.

After the girls were in bed, we got as much done to pack their lunches and I wrote little notes to put inside. I think I get just as anxious and nervous as they do (probably more) and would love to be a fly on the wall all day!

2 comments:

Les said...

Hi Erin. I have been "stalking" your blog for a while now, don't know where I found it...but I just wanted to say hi. And thanks for this blog post. I wish I could have been at your conference session, it sounds like it was great. I appreciate you writing the things you got from church on here for others to glean a little. Good luck with back to school.

Leslie Oliver

Mo said...

Wow, congrats on your calling! You are going to be so so busy!! Good thing you have your mom near to help. You will be awesome at this calling!