Monday, February 08, 2010

Eliza's Baptism





We had a great day on Saturday. It was Eliza's baptism day. It was a busy day but wonderful in every way.

The day started early for me, hiking with Terri. I got home and I cleaned up a little more and was going to start making the hot fudge for the dessert after the baptism. Then I had this thought, "You didn't do a slide show for after Eliza's baptism!!!!" It was my plan all along to do a little video to show at our house of pictures of Eliza. I thought about it a month ago and for some reason it didn't cross my brain again until Saturday morning!!! I felt horrible! So, being the crazy person that I am, I hurried and put something together. It came together pretty quickly and I put it to the song "What Heaven Sees in You." It turned out really cute. The saddest part is that we actually forgot to show it later at our house. We remember while my parents were still there, so at least they got to enjoy it!


That morning, the Sunday School general president was speaking, so Brian had to go to that. Ellie went to my two nephews' birthday party, so it was little crazy morning. Happily, we got everything ready and got to the church on time. Eliza couldn't stop smiling at her baptism. She was so excited before and during and after. When we got there, we got her dressed in her white outfit. It was pretty special because she wore the same outfit that I was baptized in. My mom made it years ago (we couldn't believe it was almost 24 years ago!!). Many of my cousins have worn it since then, but Eliza got to wear it, too. My mom made a cute new belt to go with it. She looked darling.

The first part of the baptism was in the chapel. There were SO many kids being baptized that day. SEVEN just from our ward. At first, when I found out there were so many being baptized I was a little bummed and wondered how we could make the day special for her her. But it all turned out wonderful. My dad mentioned how it's neat there were so many being baptized with her because she'll always have a strong group of friends to strengthen each other and remember the special time together. That will be neat for Eliza to look back on and find strength in that. After the talk on baptism, they dismissed by wards for the actual baptism. We had to do the boys from our ward first, then the girls because all the family members wouldn't fit in the Relief Society room at the same time. Brian baptized Eliza, then I met her when she came out to help her get dressed. She was all smiles and so excited. She got her new dress on. I forgot a ponytail, so she just wore her hair down, but she wore a little headband that I had made. It was a piece of trim that I stitched a rhinestone button on and I turned it into a headband by stitching an elastic on each end. My mom came in the bathroom to tie the bow on her dress and she also gave Eliza a charm bracelet to wear. It had a crown charm on it to remind her she is a daughter of a King. After getting ready, our ward met back in the chapel for the talk on the Holy Ghost and the confirmations. Eliza was first and Brian did a great job. What I remember most is that she was blessed to make good choices and to be an example to those around her. People look to her, so it's important that she is a good example.

After the baptism, Terri took more pictures and then we headed back to our house. We had family and friends over for dinner. We decided on pizza for ease and it was perfect. Terri brought veggies and dip, Chrystalyn brought a cheese ball and crackers, and we had pizza. For dessert we had ice cream with homemade hot fudge and Brian's mom also made spicy bars. It was a fun time eating and visiting. Eliza also received some very thoughtful gifts for her baptism. We got her scriptures and my parents gave her a scripture case that she wanted along with a scripture journal. She also got a pretty Willow Tree statue, a picture, journal, necklace, bookmark, mini hymn book and Children's Songbook, etc. She has been so cute--reading her scriptures every chance she gets. We enjoyed spending this special day with so many dear family members and friends. Her school teacher from last year even came, which was very thoughtful and sweet. As a little "favor," I made little Article of Faith cards that had her picture on one side and the Articles of Faith on the other.

Eliza has had a really good week and has been such a joy. I can't believe my first child was baptized. She is growing up so fast.

4 comments:

Jessica P. said...

I wish I could have come, she is just too cute and I love the picture of you and her, you are both so photogenic!! And thanks for making me hungry for hot fudge sundaes!! :)

Suzee said...

Absolutley beautiful! Can not believe she is so grown up already. Before you know it she'll be driving and dating! Don't tell Brian! He'll pass out at that idea!

Honestly, I could have sworn it was only a couple of years ago we did this with Sarah...

Ironygirl said...

I am really glad we got to be there. It was a very special day and I think you did a lot to make it that way for her. I am glad everything went so well and more importantly that she chose to be baptized.

Kristi rogers said...

OMG! I loved that video. I need to make one for Kali with the same song! What program did you make it on?