Saturday, October 02, 2010

General Conference

I love General Conference weekend. And this weekend--today at least--was one of the best ones we've had in a while. Yesterday I had the thought to put two folding tables up in our family room and give each girl one side where they would do their conference packets. I also thought to get perler beads and have them work on those. Boy did that keep them quiet! Hattie lasted about a half hour with her packet, but I thought that was good for her, then she was off playing, but the other three sat and colored and made shapes with the beads the whole time. Ruby took a nap during each session, so Brian and I actually got to hear all of conference today! I can't think of the last time that happened! And boy were the talks so wonderful. I loved having my girls there working on something so they were quiet but also listening. We were able to discuss things from the talks to reiterate things. All the talks were great but a couple that stick out are Elder Holland's and Elder Anderson's. I can't wait to go back and re-read them all.

This is one funny--so funny--from today. One of the speakers--I think it was Elder Christofferson was talking about bringing light into our lives and one way was not allowing evil in such as pornography. I knew my girls had had a sharing time about it a while back, so I asked them, "Do you know what pornography is?" Everyone said no except one who said, "I do." Then I said, "Oh, okay--what is it?" She said (totally serious), "It's math." Holy cow--I looked over at Brian and we tried so hard to keep a straight face. It was hilarious!!!! Yes, math should be avoided like the plague, too. :) We told them it wasn't math, but told them what it was and what to do if something inappropriate is on. That sure gave us a good chuckle though!

I loved one thing that Sister Wixom said--"The world will teach our children if we don't." We have to teach our kids so the world doesn't.

After the second session, we went over to my parents' house and the dads went to the Priesthood session. Kamille watched my three little girls and two of her kids and the rest of us went to Ladies' Night at Deseret Book for a little bit. I actually won a prize--a book called The Silence of God. We didn't stay very long, then came back to my parents' house. My parents bought pizza for everyone, so we enjoyed dinner after the boys returned home. It was a fun night. Can't wait for tomorrow!

No comments: