Updates from the rest of the week:
Thursday:
picked up dresser for the nursery
went to in-laws for swimming at night
Friday:
Went to Nanci's. I got a bunch of her maternity clothes to see me through the end of my pregnancy. Yay. I think I might survive now. It has felt so good to wear something different. I feel like I've been rotating through the same 3 outfits. She also showed me a new NuSkin product. Tempting, but I'll probably have to wait a month or two.
Found out I "failed" my glucose test, so I have to go in and do the 3-hour one. I held it together long enough to get off the phone with the nurse, then I cried. Big bBaby! It was just like one more thing I didn't need this week. I had to do the same thing with Hattie and it ended up being negative, so I am hoping for a repeat of that this time.
Brian had a scout campout, so the girls and I had a girls night. After dinner and after Ellie and Hattie went to bed, Eliza, Libby and I watched the Samantha movie (American Girl) and had popcorn and M&Ms. The movie was really good and we had fun watching and eating. Bedtime went well except I went too late (midnight) and Hattie summoned me at 5:35. We have been trying to get her to sleep in a little bit more. Usually it's 6 AM, which is still too early. We even put a sheet and blanket over her window hoping that would help, but no. It hasn't. Grrrr.
Saturday:
We hung out at home--colored, watched Samantha again, had lunch, etc. Brian got home a little after lunch. He had a good camp ut except for the fact that his Land Cruiser broke down. I asked if he had an ax he could take to it while he was there. It just stopped. So they had to leave it in Mayer. So Saturday afternoon, we all had to go back up there, meet the tow truck and have it towed to a shop in Prescott Valley. They can't look at it until Monday, so we'll have to go back up and get it early this week. This has been such a thorn in our side! We don't know what to do with it--just sell it for like nothing or he's looked into doing Cash for Clunkers, so we'll see about that. It's just a pain! We got home and were able to get a sitter for a little date night. Brian loves me being pregnant because I can't hardly eat anything at one sitting, so we just get a meal and share and it's plenty! I didn't even eat all of my 1/2 portion. I'm sure that will change soon. So we had Chevy's for dinner--love their salsa! We went to Barnes & Noble and relaxed and read a bit. I read quite a bit in a book that I want to buy. It's called The Explosive Child. Now before you judge me (or my kids), I have to explain. This week has been really hard. Probably three nights this week, we've had trouble with one child in particular and I've been desperate about what to do. It's been awful. Lots of tears! In my researching, I came across this book and when I saw it at the bookstore, I picked it up and read some. It is great. I was excited to try it out as I was reading. The hardest part about reading it was admitting we have an explosive child! I think all children are that at some point and/or over certain issues. The premise is that there are some who aren't flexible and when things don't go their way, they flip out and can't see beyond that and it ruins the rest of the day/night or whenever it is. And it's not all issues she reacts like this. I think the skills can be applied to all kids. Basically you have three plans of attack when wanting to deal with one of their triggers (could be getting up and ready in the morning, clothing choices, doing homework, meal time...etc. The book gave several examples of what might trigger your child.) So with anything, you either have Plan A, B or C. Plan A is for things you are adamant about and won't budge. You just don't allow it and a negative reaction will probably occur. Plan C is to not object to a child's request. It's kind of like choosing your battles. But then you have plan B. It's a bit extensive, but it's a great way to discuss it with your child and figure out a plan that will make both of you happy. Brian and I tried some aspects today and it has seemed to work well. Ideally, you'd be proactive and talk to your child "not in the moment" and try to come up with a solution before the issue comes up. Anyway...I am going to order the book and keep trying his approach.
We had a gift card for Cold Stone so we shared one of those, too. We discovered it's cheaper to get the biggest size and share it (there was plenty) than to get two separate ones. Duh.
Sunday:
Didn't get enough sleep again. LOL. We got up and ready for church. Sacrament went well. I got released from my Sunday School calling. I taught my last lesson for them today. Kind of sad! They were such a great group of kids and I'll miss teaching them each week. We had a good afternoon. My parents and brother and his family came over for dinner. Pork loin roast, mashed potatoes and corn. Yum. And Kamille's famous treats--they were SO good.
I left for a stake youth council meeting. So my new calling begins! We are in charge of a lot of things coming up, so we'll have to jump in with both feet right away.
Sunday, August 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
You should check out what happened to my sister's Land Cruiser at wemissyouall.blogspot.com.
I'm sorry things have been so crazy for you lately- and being pregnant on top of all that, too! I hope things settle down a bit. I might borrow that book from you if you do really like it. The more parenting tips I have in my arsenal, the better! :)
Explosive? That's totally the right word...I'll have to check Amazon for this one...Thanks!!
I'm so sorry you have to do that testing! It's the worst. What's worse is having to spend over 3 hours there. Hopefully you will have the same results as with Hattie. That sounds like a good book to me. I need it already. :) Love, Cam
SHEESH!! I just know things will be better soon. I love reading all you are up to. xoxo karlee
Post a Comment