Thursday, September 18, 2008

Believe

Wednesday morning Ellie and I went to gymnastics. She was so excited to do all the activities. From there and getting Hattie from Terri's, we went to Leslie's to take som pictures of her little 5 month old. Such a doll. Hattie was so clingy, which made it hard, so hopefully we don't have to do a do-over.


Eliza got to come with me to mutual last night. I had a meeting tonight, so I didn't want to be gone two nights in a row. She cares more that I am gone than any of the others. Libby asked where I was going and I told her, then she was off playing before I could say anything else. For mutual we were supposed to go to the rest home to paint the old ladies' fingernails, but the person in charge at the place never got back to us...so we opted for plan B. Our beehive counselor led us in a game like "To Tell the Truth." The girls wrote down three things about themselves, then three were called up and all had to act like it was their story. It was funny and we were fooled a few times! The last little bit we went to play dodgeball. Some of the boys were in there and decided to play, so it was a little rougher than we were hoping. Eliza got a ball to the face once, but she was tough and didn't even cry.

Today I did something I haven't done for a long while and that is going to aerobics. They just started it in our church building, so it's so close and nice. It was great to get back into it and I can't wait for it to continue (I think!). I came home and hurried and got ready and got a couple of things done around the house before leaving to pick up Eliza and Libby from early release. It was "Grandmother Day," so all the cousins went over there and we ate our lunches that we brought and had treats for Sara's birthday. Then the kids just played and the moms chatted a little, and we played Apples to Apples Jr. and Phase 10. It was fun and a little busy, too. Ellie (who is STILLLLLLLLLLL having potty issues) had 3 accidents in a short 2 hour span. By the third one I was near tears. I really feel helpless and have no idea what to do to get over it. I feel bad for her, but I wish I knew what to do to get through this.

Tonight I had a stake leadership training meeting. It was informative but LONG! I think I got home around 9:15. I got several new ideas for YW, so that is always nice. Speaking of YW, I came across a really great book (thanks, Mom) and it had a part that I really liked. It's called Believe in What You're Doing, Believe in Who You Are by Hilary Weeks. I know that I am in young womens and at the activities for the girls, but sometimes I feel like some couldn't care less if I were there or that they think I am lame, lame, lame. But I read a chapter in her book and it's changed how I think. It's from the chapter "My Motto" and her point is "Don't worry about what others think of you. Worry about what they think of themselves when they are with you." So now I make that my purpose on Sunday and at activities. If I am doing my best to making them feel important and great, then what they think of me isn't important. And maybe down the road when they are grown, they'll realize I wasn't so bad after all!

3 comments:

The Crouse House said...

That was my favorite part of the book too! You are an inspiration to the girls AND to the old ladies like me!!

Ann said...

You're too hard on yourself. They love you and I'm sure they appreciate all you do for them....or at least they will in time!! And Shelley, you're NOT old....I am!! :)

pribyl said...

How funny! I have had two of those books sitting on my counter for over a month, waiting to send out! Maybe I should read one of the first! LOL