Saturday, January 03, 2009

Spontaneous Fun (and lots of pictures, too)

Last night my mom sent me a text message asking if we were taking our girls to the Fiesta Bowl Parade. I figured she was joking, so I told her I didn't think so. I guess that sparked some crazy ideas and before you know it, it was this morning and we went to the parade! I guess after being in so many parades when I was little, we got burned out, so we had to wait 24 years (seriously) to want to watch another one! I can't believe it was that long ago. I was really young when I was in it. We had such a great time--I am so glad we went. Brian had a young men planning meeting, so I took the girls with my parents. I went to their house, then we rode over together. Miraculously, we found a parking spot so close--like 20 yards from where we sat. We got there at 9:45 and the parade didn't start until 11, so we tried to entertain with snacks, looking at the clowns and street vendors. My mom bought my girls those little water balloon yoyos--$1 each.


We figured it was cheap fun. Then my dad got some cotton candy, so that was yum. My dad was talking to the parking police lady and another police officer pulled up and I was like...is that Ben Moore? He (and his family) are long time family friends, so my dad caught up with him for a while.

Finally the parade started and my girls were entertained for two hours. It was a LONG parade, but they loved every minute.

Me circa 1985


Me circa 2059?? LOL








Libby was so excited to get a ball from someone in the parade and a coin for a free Krispy Kreme. (only if they had one on our side of town!)


These were cute outfits for a school, but we thought those shoes would be awful to march in!

We thought they had the best uniforms...the cheerleaders had cute western outfits, too.

Experiencing cotton candy for the first time. She wasn't sure at first, but she ended up liking it.

These things are my favorite. They make me laugh anytime I see one.

Any time any soldiers came by, the crowd stood up and cheered. It was neat!


While we were gone, Brian went on a bike ride on the New River Road trail. It was 12 miles and he had a great time. The pictures he sent me were so pretty! When we got home, Hattie napped and the other girls went out front with Brian for a while. I actually took a nap! I was tired from the morning! It was a great last day of winter break.

2 comments:

Janet and Nate said...

Love the parade pics of you and the future...way tooooo funny!!!
:)

Ann said...

It was a lot more fun yesterday than it used to be....when we got there before dawn and had to walk the parade with the twirlers! It was a lot longer parade back then, too. There used to me a lot more floats, bands and horses and fewer Mexican dancing groups!