Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Berry Productive Day and Prayer (not related)


This morning, Jenny, Kari and I hiked out in Kari's neighborhood. We went on a pretty trail that goes through that community. It was so pretty and nice.

Today was our freezer jam day. My friend Suzee inspired me to make strawberry freezer jam since strawberries have been fairly inexpensive. I've never made it before but have always wanted to. I've just been too scared! So I asked my mom if she wanted to do it with me and she hopped on board. This morning she came over and we got started. Based on the recipe on the back of the freezer jam pectin packet, we had prepared to make 25 jars. It was the miracle of the loaves and the fishes. Instead, it made 49 jars! We had to leave halfway through for more pectin and more jars! We were so excited. It only took us about two hours total to make that many, but it took all morning since we had to go to the store. It was so easy to do and Ellie and Hattie had a great time watching and snitching strawberries or putting their fingers in the sugar! And it tastes so good, too!

Tonight Brian didn't have mutual--what a nice treat! So we leisurely had dinner and cleaned the house quite a bit. Our main intention was to find a DVD remote for the playroom that has been missing for several days. As we start looking--Libby was so good tonight and really got into the cleaning/organizing mode--Libby was in the playroom with me, so I suggested that we say a prayer and ask for help in finding it. One of Libby's shy quirks is that she won't pray out loud. It's so hard for me that she doesn't do it. So I thought this might be a good time to teach her that Heavenly Father hears our prayers and answers them. This took a lot of faith because we had no idea where this remote was and had already looked quite a bit. But I thought, we've got to find it now, so she realizes that prayers are answered even for a lost remote. So after we prayed she told me a story that her primary teacher had told her about losing something and praying and then finding it. Then she said, "Have you had any thoughts?" So I mentioned a couple places I thought of looking and we looked there but no remote. And she just kept asking, "Have you had any thoughts?" We looked all over the place but still no remote. I said another silent prayer that we could find it mostly for Libby's sake in allowing her to have this experience. It was time for me to put Eliza to bed (Brian had to take Libby to drop off a little apology note to the babysitter for how she acted last night), so I was reading with Eliza, and Brian was frantically still searching with Libby. Before I knew it, Libby came running in with the remote! I was so happy and glad. It was in a little toy that you put balls in and they pop out--it was stuck down in the tube. So then Brian came in for scriptures and prayers and we made sure to offer thanks for allowing us to find it. I hope she will remember that.

2 comments:

Ann said...

That sweet story brought tears to my eyes. Libby is such a tender hearted girl, but I know she can be stubborn, too! Or maybe the word should be determined!

Sonja said...

Every once in a while, what was planned as a "large" jam project turns into an "enormous" jam project. My dad (who does not live here and so not use to the temperature)was helping me one time when that happened with peaches and cooked jam in August when the temperature was 115. His job was to wipe off the tops of the jars and apply the lids . . . forever it seemed. He got a little tongue-tied near the end and asked when I thought this dam (instead of jam) project would be over. Out of the mouths of babes and great-granddaddies . . . .

And by the way, the Sure-Jell double pack at WalMart is the screamin' pectin deal.