Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Party, Seussical, Easter, Church, Etc.

Random (and in no particular order) thoughts and memories about the past couple of days.

--I loved the rain yesterday!!! Unfortunately it canceled Eliza's soccer game. She was pretty bummed as she was looking forward to it.
--Yesterday was our annual family Easter party. We had it at our house and because of the rain we moved some of it inside. It worked out though and we had a great time. It's always fun to get together and chat and let the kids play and laugh at my brothers (or them laugh at me), etc. We started with a BBQ. Brian (brother) and my dad braved the rain to cook for us.

After eating, the dads hid Easter eggs outside while we did some games inside. Brian (brother) led the kids in Tootie-Ta--a favorite for sure. Hattie even liked it and tried to do it this time.


I was going to do the leaky can outside, but changed at the last minute and did an egg relay on a spoon inside. Then it was the egg hunt. All the kids loved running around gathering eggs. They were so sweet to quickly and willingly share with each other if someone didn't get as many as the rest. Dan and Chris' game was a water balloon toss and that was a hit. Lots of fun. At the end Brian chucked one at my dad and got him--well--in a pretty embarrassing spot. The kids (and parents) roared with laughter about that.

Then Dan took the water from the ice chest and soaked Brian's front.
I know this picture is blurry but it's the only one I have.


The last activity was the much anticipated fish pond. The kids go "fishing" for Easter gifts from my parents. My girls got some fun markers, Hattie and Ellie a ball, they got a bag of candy and they each got new pajamas, which they all put on right away. Eliza and Libby got HSM ones, Hattie got Tinkerbell (her favorite) and Ellie got darling princess ones. It was a great time and so fun.

Hattie liked her Easter stuff a little too much!

--Brian thinks Easter grass should be banned for any future Easters. That stuff gets everywhere!

--Last night we got a sitter for Hattie and we took the other three girls to see the play at Sunrise Mtn. It was Seussical. It was so good. I told Brian it was probably one of the best high school plays I have seen. It's basically just a mismatch of numerous Seuss stories, but the music was so cute and the costumes were great! Just a lot of color and lots going on to keep the kids entertained throughout. A couple of the girls from our ward are it in, so it was fun to go see them. All the girls loved it--even Ellie did really well for being 3. Such a cute show--it would be fun to see it on Broadway.

--This morning the girls got up excited to see what the Easter bunny brought. I was a little worried since the EB didn't put any candy in their buckets or any grass (hmmm...wonder who decided on that?!?!). But it all worked out. Eliza got a new soccer ball (something she has really been wanting) and she also got some paints and a new 20 Questions game. Both she and Libby love playing that game. Libby got a dog stuffed animal, some wiffle balls to go with a bat we already have and she got one of those balls that you hold the handle and bounce on. Ellie got a stuffed bunny, fruit snacks and a coloring book and crayons. Hattie got a stuffed bird--it's actually really cute--a blue-footed boobie like they have in the Galapagos Islands. She also got a nerf football and a tiny soccer ball. I guess it was the year of the ball.

--It's hard to have Easter and early church! We made it on time but just barely. After we got to church, I was like oops--no one did Ellie's hair! Just a minor oversight.

--I got released from my calling as Relief Society teacher and activity days. Bishop came over last Wednesday and I've been sad about it ever since. I LOVE teaching RS and didn't want to be released especially since I just got put in in October!!!! Now I am teaching Sunday school, but I am not sure what age--Bishop said it was 12 or 13 year olds, but the 14 and 15 year old teacher got released today. I am a little nervous for this new adventure and now have to prepare a lesson every week instead of once a month. I know there is a reason I will be in there, but for now I'd rather have my old calling back.

--In sacrament meeting, we had a really nice musical Easter program. There was some narration with a lot of songs. In fact, it went about 20 minutes over. But the music was really good and brought the spirit. Some of the girls got a little restless at the end, but I guess I can't blame them too much since it was a lot longer than normal.

--One of our home teachers is a 15 year old boy who comes with his dad. Today in church, he was walking back to his seat after passing the sacrament and he pointed at his hair and mouthed, "I like your hair." It was so sweet. How many 15 year old boys are kind enough to tell someone they like their hair (unless it's a girl their age!)??

--I taught in RS today. It was about being valiant in the cause of Christ. I think it went well and I related it Easter and how we can use this time to think about becoming more like our Savior. So now once I figure out what I'm teaching, I'll start preparing my lesson for next week (I think I'll also need to review my discipline strategies from my teaching days, too! LOL).

--Tonight we went to my brother's house for dinner. We had ham, potatoes, corn, rolls and salad. Dessert was leftover Easter candy and fresh strawberries with whipped cream. We had a nice dinner and a nice time enjoying each other's company. I felt like my girls were a little wild and running crazy. I was getting frustrated the whole night! So on the way home, I was talking to them about how it's okay to have fun, but we don't need to run crazy and be the loudest ones at every function...blah blah blah (I'm sure that is what my girls heard). After my diatribe, Libby sent up two little notes--one for me and one for Brian. We thought they were so sweet. You might have to click on them to read them.


--Well, tomorrow is a new week! We'll start by walking off some of the Easter candy, then I'll vacuum the house to try to get rid of the Easter grass.

4 comments:

Ironygirl said...

I hate the grass, too! Glad you had a great Easter. We're doing ours later because Isaac has been sick. Plus, it will spread out the sugar high, hopefully!

Suzee said...

My mom banned the grass when we were little, also the whole Easter egg thing changed after my sisters and I stomped them all into the carpet... I personally will only use the shredded, crinkled paper you can buy at the craft store. Funny, Libby kind of reminds me of myself. Tough kid with a very tender heart!
Did you get my voicemail? Call me, or e-mail me!

Unknown said...

I miss your cute family! I hope all is going well! I'd love to come visit your girls some time!

mmhunter said...

i'm totally with you on the easter grass. this will be our last year doing it! big mistake!