
**If you have a weak stomach, you may not want to scroll down and see the picture at the end of this post.
On Thursday night, I dropped Eliza, Libby and Brian off at Eliza's soccer practice and I was going to take Ellie and Hattie to Wal-Mart and Costco. We didn't make it too far! We parked at Wal-Mart on 83rd and we were going in the side door--the one the swings open. Ellie was about 10 steps in front of me and she was opening the door. I think she put her left hand on the door jam to get more leverage while she opened it with her right hand. It was SO windy that night and a big gust of wind came and slammed the door shut wedging her left hand in the door. I ran up and yanked it open, but the damage was already done. The skin was off pretty deep on her middle two fingers. I hurried inside trying to manage Hattie and hustle Ellie to the bathroom to get it cleaned off to see how bad the damage was. She was dripping blood, but I put it under water all while Hattie is crying for me to hold her (how dare I put her down!). There were a couple ladies in the bathroom who got me some paper towels. One lady went to the McDonald's in the store and got some ice and she also order Ellie some chocolate chip cookies there. It was so nice even though she understandably didn't want anything to do with them right then. I was trying to figure out what to do. It was pretty deep, so I was pretty sure I wanted to get it looked at but I was like how am I going to get her in the car, to the place, etc? A lady from Wal-Mart asked if I wanted her to get some medical help. At first I said no, but then told her I would like to since I figured it would be easier to get some help there. So we waited near the customer service for a few minutes and then a manager came over and wanted to take a report. I said, "Is medical help coming?" She said, "Oh--we can call the paramedics if you'd like." I was like, "I thought that is what was happening--I wish I would have known so I could have taken her already." I said I would have to come back to do the report because I wanted to get Ellie taken care of first. Duh! So I hurried her to the car and went to Good Night Pediatrics--which is like an urgent care for kids. There was no wait at all--I got right in, which was nice. They looked at it to make sure they could help her there or if we needed to go to the ER. The doc looked and didn't think it would take a stitch since there was nothing to stitch it to since all the skin was gone. So they cleaned it up, took X-rays (it didn't turn out to be broken thank goodness), cleaned it some more and bandaged it up. We got an Rx for some ointment and then came home. Poor girl!!! She has been good with it except when it comes to cleaning time which is about three times a day. She throws a good fit and we have to hold her down to do the first part. Then she is pretty good when we wrap it up again. I hope it heals soon. After she got home and in to bed, I went back to Wal-Mart to file an injury report. The manager that I talked to said that someone would be calling me about it and that "they would take care of everything." Whatever that meant--hopefully pay for the medical bills!
Here is a picture of all the grossness--one with the flash and one without--I couldn't tell which one did it more justice.



5 comments:
OW! Poor baby. I hope it heals soon.
O MY!!!! What a brave little girl....
hope she is doing better everyday, with the four changes of medicine a day, right!
Poor little girl!!! My hand hurts just looking at those pictures. Hope her hand gets better soon.
Oh, that is just so sad looking. Poor girl. Sounds like she was just as brave as could be, though. I would have been sweating and freaking out trying to evaluate the situation and deal with another screaming child as well. Sounds like you handled it all so well! I hope they come through and help with the bills; I'm not one to be 'sue-happy' but.....
Post a Comment