Monday, October 13, 2008

Sad Sunday

Yesterday was a sad day for me. I was released as Young Women's President in our ward. I was so sad and not expecting it at all! Really it's been a hard five days--Bishop grabbed me after mutual on Wednesday night and said he needed to talk with me for a minute. I was thinking he was going to talk to me about his daughter. During mutual that night, his daughter had slipped out to go talk to him and when she came back I could tell she had been crying. So I thought it would be about her. So I went in his office and he said, "This is really hard for me." He actually said that a couple times at least. I said, "Is it about your daughter?" He said no, so then I was thinking he was going to tell me some bad news about the family of one of my girls. Then he went on to say that he was extending a release to me from my calling. Eyes burning, mouth trying not to gape open. I was NOT ready to hear that. He just said that he felt like I needed to be released for a little while, but his logical mind didn't want to do it and he wanted me to still be in there. But it couldn't ignore it anymore he said. He said, "You've been in for 3 1/2 years..." I quickly said, "It's only been 2 1/2," trying to lobby for my calling back! But it didn't work. I held it together pretty well in there, but when I came home I couldn't hold the tears in anymore. I was so sad. I loved my calling and I loved the girls. So it was an emotional few days leading up until Sunday knowing I was being released. At least I can say that I feel like I did my best and that is all that matters.

Sunday was hard. I had to go to welfare meeting still in the morning, and I got teary in that meeting--then sacrament meeting was hard when they announced it, etc. I bore my testimony--I really wanted to, but I probably shouldn't have as I was too emotional. When I got back to my seat, Libby was sniffling a little bit (whenever she seems me crying or sad or whatever, she gets teary, too). But then she said to me, "Mom--next time you bear your testimony, don't cry talk." I guess she didn't like that! Ha! I can't guarantee that though. I wish I could keep it together better. Rachel--I guess we have the same spiritual gift! LOL.

Young women's was hard, too. I went one last time and just seeing the girls tugged at my heart. And saying the young women's theme did, too. I think it'll take a while to realize I am not in that calling. During the day today I had little thoughts like, "oh--I should do this to get ready for mutual or for young women in excellence..." or whatnot. So it'll be tough to get out of the mode, but I'm sure it'll happen soon enough.

That same night he released me, he gave me another calling. Two to be exact. I teach relief society one lesson a month and I am also the 10 & 11 year old activity day leader. I am excited to start on those callings.

Today I went hiking again, but at a more pleasurable 6:30 AM instead of the earlier time. It was chilly! Once we got going it was better, but I was still cold. Today my girls didn't have school, so we stayed home and they played outside a bit. My mom came over and we did 28 more quarts of peaches. We are done for this season. I hope they last me at least through December! HA! They are so good.

After finishing, we were off to gymnastics, then home for family home evening. Before that, the oldest three girls played school. Eliza was the teacher and Lib and Ellie had backpacks with a folder and a "lunch". Eliza made them walk in lines and had class, etc. It was cute and they had fun.

Tomorrow will be back to the school routine...have a good week. I'll leave you with just a few highlights of my time in YW. (I shouldn't have looked through my pictures--it made me sad all over again!).


















4 comments:

Suzee said...

Ohhh...you poor thing. Just know that you did better than me. When bishop Kurtzborn released me from the Y.W. presidency I actually started crying right in his office! There is no other calling in the church that can take everything out of you physically (girls camp :))and emotionally. Yet, when the your time is over, you feel as though your best friend has just died! I guess it comes from "leaving it all on the field". Loving each of those girls as if she was your own!

pribyl said...

Such great memories! You had me crying, looking through those pictures!:( BTW, at least you didn't say "Oh Crap", when he released you!:)

Britt said...

Oh gosh. You are amazing. You are so talented. I can't imagine someone filling your shoes at all. Hopefully you'll get called in there again real soon. I know I have always longed to be in young womens because of all the leaders I had that touched me. Keep moving forward. You are great at whatever you try.

jt said...

They just switched ours on fast sunday as well. I get to stay in as 1st counselor, but it was a sad day saying good bye to the pres and 1st counselor. those activity day girls will love you.