Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Chores

We are on week two of successful chore charts. I was a little nervous how things would go--wondering what I would have to do to bribe them to get them done. But I haven't had to do anything, surprisingly. They just like the fact that they are "done" with their chores for the day. I think people push their kids to be successful at sports or dance or gymnastics or music, but they forget to teach them how to work, which is ultimately what will really make them successful in life. So with that in mind, I wanted to start them on more chores and responsibilities around the house. Not that they didn't have any before, but it's more structured and they have a few new ones. They now have to clean their room (make bed, make sure clothes are put away and things put away), clean a bathroom (wipe it down with a cleaning wipe), help with laundry (they bring clothes in from their room, sort, fold, put away or start a load or move it along--depending on what needs to be done that day), empty silverware from dishwasher if needed, and they take turns either emptying the bathroom trashes or cleaning the playroom. So far so good. They have done a really great job doing their chores. Last night Libby knew she had to clean the playroom, so right after dinner, she said that is what she was going to do. I didn't hear from her for a little while, and when I went in there, it was seriously spotless! It was cleaned better than I had seen in a while and totally organized. So funny! And tonight she helped Eliza empty the silverware but then proceeded to empty all the rest. She left some things though for Brian that she couldn't' reach to put up. Look how she arranged them.



But I am glad they are doing well so far!

Today is so windy. Ugh. That is the one weather condition that is not my favorite at all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm impressed. Good job, Mom.