Tuesday, April 01, 2008

No Joke

I spoke too soon. This morning Ellie and I were busily making a cake for Brian's birthday which is tomorrow, when I noticed it was a little after 11. I hurried and called down to Superior Court like the message said yesterday. It said, "Group 2514 (which was my group) is to report for jury duty at 1 PM." I thought surely they are going to say, "April Fool's!!" But no--they were not joking--I had to go in for jury duty! I had to first hurry and call Brian so he could come home, then I hurried and got myself ready and a little dressier than shorts and t-shirt. Less than an hour later I was on my way downtown. I found the parking garage easily, was approached by someone wanting money, then got on the shuttle to the court. I filled out my papers, then waited. They called three groups of about 40 people each and I just sat and read a book (Marley & Me--next month's book for BPS). I sat down and about got a headache. I didn't know before I sat down (there weren't many seats left), but the person I sat by smoked and the smell was so strong!!! I tried as discreetly as I could to turn my face away and put my hand under my nose so I smelled my lotion instead. I was trying to think of how to tactfully move seats! A little bit after they called the third group, they said that the other cases of the day settled and that they didn't need us! I was glad. I was done earlier enough, so on my way home I was able to get Brian's birthday gift.

After I got home, we had dinner (at least I had gotten some enchiladas in the crock pot before I left), then Eliza came with me to volleyball at church. It was fun and I didn't do too bad for not having played in a while. A little rusty and I have sore arms, but other than that, it was good!



I love this picture! Ellie loves to feed Hattie. I think she'll make a great babysitter one day (and mom!).



At least Ellie is potty training in style!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's wearing the "sassy" pants!!! I recognize those!!! And I LOVE her red shoes!

Ironygirl said...

Cute pictures! I'm so glad you didn't have to do jury duty! Hooray!

Also, I read Marley and Me recently and LOVED it. I hope we can get a dog soon.