Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Third Day is a Charm

Seriously!!! I thought for sure Libby would be better for school today. But she still had a 103+ temp. this morning. So once again we broke her heart telling her she had to stay home again. She rested a while longer in bed, then rested on the couch for a bit. My mom came over for bread day. I guess it felt pretty productive to make bread since I've been feeling unproductive the past couple of days! I am ready for everyone to feel better. It's been since last Tuesday that we've had sickies. I am ready for well kids. As I was separating the dough into loaves, I had three extra hands (or maybe six) trying to swipe my dough!!! They were grabbing at the big thing of dough every time I was weighing my dough or cutting some off or putting it in the pan. I couldn't keep their hands off it. And of course my mom was just leisurely getting her dough into loaf pans and chuckling at my helpers. Thanks!

We hung around the house until time to pick up Eliza, then the girls played out front a little bit before dinner. Oh yeah--on the way to get Eliza we stopped and got the mail. The girls got a box from my parents, but I made Libby wait until Eliza was in the car. She couldn't hardly wait. As soon as Eliza got in the car, they ripped it open. It was a baggie of Valentine goodies for each girl. They loved it and smiled all afternoon. Hattie especially loved her bracelets. Ellie loved reading the Valentines and eating the candy. Eliza and Libby loved eating and the bracelets, too.



Hattie is so funny lately. This morning when Brian left--we were in the playroom and Hattie heard the garage open for him to leave. She said really loudly, "BYE!! DAD!" Anytime someone leaves or looks like they are going to leave, she says, "Bye!" Tonight when Brian left for mutual, he was telling everyone goodbye. She said, "Kiss. Kiss." So he gave her a kiss and was starting to leave again. Then she said, "Hug!" So he gave her a hug--it was so cute of her.

In other Hattie news--when she was one we had her off her pacifier even though she just used it at night for getting to sleep. Well, softy (a.k.a. Brian) would sneak it to her on occasion for naps or if she was having a harder time getting to sleep. Actually I think it was when we had babysitters over, he'd tell them it was okay to give her a pacifier. Anyway...so she's had it on and off for naps and nighttime since then. For a while I had her off it at night and only gave it to her during naps. Then again--softy--would give it to her during naps if she wasn't going to sleep. Ack! I told him I was fighting a losing battle if he was giving it to her and I was trying to get her off it! I do admit sometimes I'd oblige and give it to her so she would take her morning nap or take a better afternoon nap. One time at night she was crying so hard, so I went in and said, "What is the matter? Do you need something?" She said, "Yes." I said, "What?" She said, "Pacifier." LOL. Anyway...so I decided since she is almost two--that she needs to be completely done with it. She is our only child who has ever used one, so this is new for us. So the past couple of days I have done some tough love. I just told her a while before her naps--"Hattie--you are a big girl now, you don't need a paci anymore." She say, "Okay." She did well during her naps. Tonight I put her down and she cried for a while, so I went back in there. And instead of giving in like I would (softy #2), I just hugged her in her crib (she was standing up) and I said, "Hattie--you are a big girl; no more pacis." She said, "Okay," and lay back down. She didn't make a peep after that. I was shocked. I hope it'll still be this easy tomorrow night.

3 comments:

Ann said...

I'm so glad they enjoyed the package. I need to do that more often.
And yes, I was smiling as the girls were smuggling bites of bread dough. But I loved Hattie's response best when you said that was enough. She said, "But it's good!" Funny girl.

DM said...

i hate having sick kids...it's so sad to see them so sick & I'm alway so worried everyone else in the family is going to get sick too & I'll be stuck in the house forever..not fun.

Anonymous said...

So sorry you still have sick kiddos. My sister's boys have been sick with the really high fever too. It seems to be going around :(
How fun to get to make bread with your Mom. Homemade bread is the best!!
Lets get together when everyone is well and maybe do lunch :-)